Roasted Asparagus with Grated Parmesan | Asparagus Soup Recipe
Posted on 29 March 2017
Did you know that asparagus, the quintessential spring vegetable, was once classified in the lily family? It is a natural diuretic that is low in calories and sodium. Asparagus contains asparagusic acid. When the vegetable is digested, this chemical breaks down into a group of related sulfur-containing compounds, which may affect the smell of urine. It is an excellent source of vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, and zinc, and dietary fiber, plant protein, beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, rutin, niacin, folic acid, iron, phosphorus, potassium. It is a very powerful heart healthy vegetable that is great alone, chopped and added to a salad, a dip, and of course soup!
For this recipe, I recommend using a good quality Parmesan cheese like aged Italian Reggiano Parmesan.
Roasted Asparagus with Grated Parmesan
2 ½ Pounds Fresh Asparagus (about 30 Large)
1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ t Sea Salt
¼ t Freshly Ground Black Pepper
¼ cup Freshly Grated Good Quality Parmesan Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut the stalks of the asparagus to remove the fibrous ends. You can do this by taking a stalk and breaking it. It will naturally break where the stalk is no longer tough. If the stalks are thick, peel the bottom half of each. Lay them on a single layer sheet pan drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
3. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and return to the oven for another minute. Serve with lemon wedges.
Yields: 6 servings. Serving Size: 1 cup. Nutritional Content: 64 Calories, 2g fat 5%, 1g sat fat, 4g protein, 8g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 161mg sodium. *You can try this recipe with other vegetables too!
Roasted Asparagus Soup
1. Double the Roasted Asparagus with Grated Parmesan. Allow to cool.
2. Chop asparagus into 2”. Place in blender or food processor. Add 3 cups of water or low sodium chicken broth. Blend until your desired consistency. (Add additional cup of water if you want to thin the soup.)
Yields: 9 servings. Serving Size: 1 ½ cups. Nutritional Content: 64 Calories, 2g fat 5%, 1g sat fat, 4g protein, 8g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 161mg sodium. *You can try this recipe with other vegetables too!
Be sure to check out our Spring New Arrivals featuring the Bootylicious Leggings that lifts, firms and shapes your derrière to form the perfect Apple Booty. Our studio to street chic Side Tie Tank & Side Tie Tee made from our new Technical Modal fabric that is silky soft and won't peel or fade.
Use COUPON CODE: ASPARAGUS to receive 15% off all our New Arrivals this weekend only, March 30, 31 & April 1st 2017.